The main goal of the Master is to provide students with the professional skills required for private or public entities undertaking in bioenergy field, from the production process to the management of energy projects.
The Master covers all the specific aspects related to the conversion of biomass into a sustainable and environmentally friendly energy source, including the integration with other renewable energy sources. The knowledge of market, normative and legislation in environmental and bioenergy fields also play a
key role in the biomass to energy management of projects on a Local, National or Global scale, and it is included as well within the Master programme.
The Master aims to provide students with the following competences, abilities, and skills:
• In-depth knowledge of the biomass and raw material provision sources and routes, including agricultural and forestry practices as well as algae production methodologies.
• In-depth knowledge of waste to energy technologies and waste management.
• In-depth knowledge of biomass to energy chain issues, including logistics.
• In-depth knowledge of biomass to energy conversion technologies, and their fundamental thermochemical, biological, chemical, and other technological concepts.
• In-depth knowledge of the main biomass to energy plant typologies.
• In-depth knowledge of the chemistry basis of biofuel production, and related technologies from 1st generation to 4th generation biofuels.
• Advanced knowledge of the biorefinery concept, and of the routes for bioproducts production including bioplastics, biochemicals, soil amendments, building materials, pharmaceuticals etc.
• Advanced knowledge in the bio-based economy, market, and policy issues.
• Advanced knowledge in other energy conversion technologies (including renewable energy technologies “other” than biomass) and energy efficiency.
• Advanced knowledge of the legislative and support strategies to rule and foster renewable energy development, with a special focus on the bioenergy chain.
• Advanced Knowledge of Green Market strategies.
• Advanced knowledge of the environmental issues related to energy production, sustainability and Life Cycle Assessment concept and tools.
• Advanced knowledge in Secondary Pollution Control Issues related to biomass production and use.
• Advanced Knowledge of renewable electricity integration in the grid.
• Ability to develop and implement strategies to address major challenges in the biomass-to-energy chain.
• Ability to merge knowledge from multi-disciplinary fields to design, develop and assess new solutions for biomass to energy and bioproducts challenges.
• Ability to tackle issues in the design of biomass to energy and bioproducts conversion routes.
Duration: 12 Months
As with every Professional Master’s programme, the Course lasts 1.500 hours/year; of which:
• 300-400 dealing with lessons and seminars
• 250 individual study
• 350-400 stage/internship/applied research
• 400 thesis and exams
• residual: SEMINARS
Academic Credits : 60 academic credits
Stage and Didactic Programme:
In the start-up phase of the course, educational offers aimed at the needs of each student and group work will be studied and prepared. Thus, it will be possible to start a tailored programme on an individual level, but more often working groups will be created which will carry out collective activities coordinated by teachers and tutors.
The individual work, the stage, mainly as an internship (applied research or field experience) and the thesis work will also be scheduled in line with the prearranged schedule.
Due to the highly multidisciplinary programme, the course is open to holders of a Bachelor’s degree in technical and scientific topics, such as Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Environmental engineering, Energy Engineering, etc.), Environmental Sciences, Agricultural and Forestry Science, Chemistry, Biology, and Biotechnology. Other degree/equivalent qualification holders in similar or adjacent areas are welcome to apply.
A detailed CV/Resume is also required.
The skills obtained with the Master’s programme are suitable for Industries, Companies and Public Administration, including Departments of Environment Politics, National or International Energy Agencies, NGOs and International organisations such as the EU, the World Bank, the African Union, SADC, OAS, and ASEAN
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2023 / 2024
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Students 1
- Assessments Yes